Melissa J. Will | Empress of Dirt
Email: [email protected]
My mailing address is at the bottom of this page.
Have you ever seen a gorgeous garden and thought, I want that but I have no idea to get started?
That was me when I started out as a gardener. I went on my first local garden tour and saw this fabulous and unusual garden—just blocks from my own home—filled with gorgeous plants and garden art.
It was quirky, beautiful, and unique, and the actual landscape had all the same flaws that I was fighting in my own yard.
I met the gardener and she told me she did everything on a very low budget and started out with little or no gardening knowledge.
That was all I needed to hear.
I thought to myself: If she can do it, I can too! Right?
Mind you, I had no idea what I was doing, or how I’d get there, but just hearing that it was possible to make something so wonderful on a tiny budget with a terrible yard, changed my thinking and suddenly I knew I would have my dream garden one day.
All these years later, after many plants, trials, errors, sweet successes, and repurposed garden art projects, I have indeed got the garden of my dreams—but it’s definitely not the end game.
What I learned along the way is, the cliché is true: it’s all about the journey, not the destination.
Gardens are living things that grow and change and continually renew. We can plan and plot and scheme to achieve certain milestones, but there will always be negotiation with nature, and, if we’re lucky, we will adapt and engage in ways that offer us something even better than we envisioned.
If you’re just starting out or simply want some creative ideas to use for your growing space—whether it’s a balcony, patio, or yard, you’ve come to the right place.
I started out with a budget of just $100 per year, and now, all these years later (and a move from my old dream garden to a new barren one where I had to start from scratch), I’m still a total frugalista. I love the garden, the plants, the wildlife, the seasons, and my place in it.
Follow along and I’ll do my best go share my best with you and help you find the way to your dream garden too.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt
Books by Melissa J. Will
- Growing Salads Indoors: A beginner’s guide to producing healthy, delicious greens in your home year-round | Read more…
- How to Paint Shoes: A beginner’s guide for creating custom canvas shoes with acrylic paint | Read more…
- Creative + Frugal Garden Ideas: Getting started with Empress of Dirt | Read more…
- Empress of Dirt Garden Art & Ideas (Book One) | Read more…
- Fabric Dyeing 101: Simple Instructions For Beautiful Fabrics For Those Who Wish To Be Both Kind and Gentle On The Earth| Read more…
- Fabric Dyeing 101: Workshop Guide How To Run Fabric Dyeing Workshops And Earn Good Money Doing It | Read more…
- Melissa J Will – Empress of Dirt
PO BOX 99900 GB 053 738
RPO FRONT STREET
STRATHROY ON N7G 0E2
Copyright and Permissions
- All content on this site is © 2016 – Melissa J. Will (Empress of Dirt) unless otherwise stated.
- Permission is not required to use one of my images if you clearly provide a direct link back to this source wherever the image appears.
- Bonus points if you provide the direct link in the alt tag of the image as well.
- Use of any written content/copy/text on this site is not permitted.
Guest posts are not accepted at this time unless you have an original, never-before-published creative garden idea that will knock the socks off my readers.
- Please contact [email protected] for any other permissions.And please, spend time outside today. It’s better there. 🙂