Here’s what you need for fabric dyeing at home:
1. How-to Instructions
Fabric Dyeing 101: Simple Instructions For Beautiful Fabrics For Those Who Wish To Be Both Frugal and Gentle On The Earth
by Melissa J. Will
(87 pages, colour photos, PDF format, uses Acrobat Reader, can be printed out)
2. Fabric Dyeing Supplies
- The Jacquard starter kit has everything you need in good quantities. [Jacquard Products Procion Four Color MX Dye Set with Soda Ash]
- Alternately, you could use a tie dye starter kit (it’s the same dyes), although they don’t always list how much dye you actually get.[Jacquard Tie Dye Kit]
- If you think you’ll want to go on and experiment more with fabric dyeing, you may want some black dye. This enables you to create a whole bunch of new colours in conjunction with your basic colours. [Jacquard Procion MX Fiber Reactive Dye 2/3 oz. jar warm black]
- If you need soda ash, it can be ordered on its own.[Jacquard Soda Ash Dye Fixer 1 lb]
- You will need a dust mask to wear while mixing the dye powders.
3. Fabric and Household supplies
- A complete list of everything else you need (easy to find at home, thrift shops, or shops) is provided in Fabric Dyeing 101: Simple Instructions for Beautiful Fabrics.