There are all sorts of ways to create garden stone crafts. Come see some favorite ideas using rocks in their natural state as well as ways to craft with stones using paint and more.
Garden Stone Crafts and Art
There are basic elements that I think make a garden wonderful.
1. Great plants. Flowers, veggies, shrubs, trees, and other lovelies.
2. Metal, wood, stone, water. Aim to have some of each.
3. A private, shady seating/napping area.
4. Classic structures: sheds, arbors, trellis, obelisk, pergolas. Whatever fits your style and space.
Did You Say Free Rocks?
In my previous garden, I went to tremendous lengths to have stones in the garden. I actually made a deal with a local contractor who was building some new houses in the area and asked if I could haul away his unwanted rock pile (acquired while digging the new foundations).
He was happy to have me take them but doubted I could even make a dent in the pile.
Well, about 50 carloads later, I had a few thousand rocks to edge all my garden borders, and use to create retaining walls.
Never underestimate the determination of a frugal gardener!
A friend who runs a large farm thought I was nuts, of course. Rocks are a huge problem when working the land and they had cumulated a mountain of rocks on their property over the years, hauling them out of the ground when new ones would emerge each spring (the earth seems to regurgitate them after winters!).
Hers were too hard to access behind the farm field, but the local contractor sure gave me a nice supply.
Creative Garden Stone Art & Craft Ideas
Here’s some ideas to use for your garden.
1. Paint rocks | How to Paint Rocks
Transform rocks into animals, insects, flowers, houses, or whatever you can dream up.
Paint Stones | The Art of Stone Painting – Birds
Paint Stones | The Art of Stone Painting – Owls
2. Create painted garden markers | Stone garden markers
Paint small stones with the names of garden veggie crops.
4. Stone birdhouse | How to make a stone birdhouse
Attach small stones to transform a wooden birdhouse into a creative work of art.
5. Word art on stone or concrete | DIY stepping stones and How to make hypertufa pots
Paint or engrave favourite words or phrases onto stepping stones or rocks. I’m not sure what tools would work on stone, but you can certainly put messages onto concrete items before they have completely hardened. There’s also lots you can buy, of course.
Love it? Share it!