The Modern Day Version of the Snowman Cookie
These Global Warming Snow Person Cookies are not my original creation but simply a version of an idea that’s been floating around for several years. When I was in school we used to make snow people (snowmen) out of marshmallows and stand them on sugar cookies, decorating them to look like they were melting. The ones pictured here are in full meltdown mode and begging you to eat them before they wash away.
I’ve included the recipes for the sugar cookies and royal icing as well as suggestions for the decorations. Enjoy!
Some links go to my affiliate Amazon.com account.
Ingredients (makes 12-16 large cookies)
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/3 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Using mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
Slowly add flour, baking powder, and salt until thoroughly combined.
Cover mixing bowl and chill in fridge for at least one hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
Roll out dough on lightly floured surface. You want it around 1/4″ thick.
Cut out random shapes to look like melted snowperson bodies. I make mine about the size of the palm of my hand.
Place one inch apart on greased or lined cookie sheet.
Bake approx 8 minutes until bottoms are slightly golden brown.
Cool completely before icing.
2 tablespoons and 3/4 teaspoon meringue powder
3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon water
Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and beat at medium low speed for 5-8 minutes until icing forms peaks.
This icing dries out quickly so keep a damp towel over the bowl while you’re working with it.
Apply royal icing to cookies and allow to dry before decorating. Set a tablespoon of icing aside for attaching candy to the cookies.
- Head – marshmallow – soften for 10 seconds in microwave oven and place on iced cookie.
- Nose – orange-coloured candy (marzipan or sour peaches cut into nose shapes).
- Buttons – M&Ms, Smarties, or other candy-coated colourful candies. Attach to cookies using a small amount of icing.
- Eyes, mouth, arms – soft gel paste food colours (I used black for everything).
- Arms (alternate idea) – could also use pretzels or little candy canes.
- Also – could add bow ties, scarves, hats, mitts, micro marshmallow snowballs and more.