Planting bulbs for spring is not an essential task but it sure pays off in those early spring days as these bursts of colour appear while we’re still dealing with the final snowfalls.
This collection of winter garden prep tips comes from dedicated organic gardeners. You can find all of the tips here.
Fall Is Bulb Planting (And Protecting) Time
Continued from Winter Garden Prep: Mulch, Leaves, and Cover Crops (Tips 1-3)
You know when you say a word over and over again and it starts to sound really funny and strange? Bulb is that word of the day. What an odd word! But it fits, doesn’t it?
Fall is the time to plant garlic and spring-flowering bulbs, and it’s also time to remove tender bulbs like dahlias from the ground to store for the winter.
Have a look at these tips from some top garden bloggers. If you have any questions, be sure to leave comments on their sites—I know they’ll be happy to help you.
4. Putting Dahlias Away For The Winter | That Blooming Garden
- Dahlias are a tender bulb that should be removed from the ground for the winter in colder climates.
- See what rotted bulbs look like, plus how to label, store, and care for dahlia bulbs here: Putting Dahlias Away For The Winter
5. Planting Bulbs In The Fall | Garden Matter
- See some favourite flowering bulbs that Patti recommends at Fall Gardening – Planting Bulbs
6a. How To Plant Garlic | Grow A Good Life
- Rachel shows how to plant garlic: Planting Garlic in the Fall
6b. How To Plant Garlic Bulbs | Sensibile Gardening & Living
- Lynne shows how to plant garlic with photos of each step here: How To Plant Garlic
7. Plant Alliums | Hellie’s Corner
- Alliums come in various sizes from small to jumbo. They are a favourite of bees and butterflies.
- See how a test planting went at Allium Surprise
- How to make your own giant garden art alliums
8. Crocus Fall Planting Tips | Minnie’s Milestones
- Tips for planting bulbs in rocks and clay plus a tip for keeping the squirrels from stealing the bulbs: Crocus Fall Planting Tips
9. Canna Lily Winter Care | A Healthy Life For Me
- See how to store canna lily, dahlia, and gladiolus bulbs over the winter in cold climates.
- Amy shows her fool-proof method here at Canna Lily Winter Care
10. Bulbs 101 For Beginners | Empress of Dirt
- How to plant bulbs (and figure out which end is which!) plus how to plant bulbs in containers including tulips, crocus, hyacinth, and more.
- Read more at Bulbs 101 For Beginners
11. When to Force Bulbs Indoors: Timing Calendar | Empress of Dirt
- Find out which bulbs are easiest to force into flowering indoors and when you should get them planted.
More Winter Garden Preparation Tips
- Mulch, Leaves, & Cover Crops | Tips 1-3
- Planting Bulbs | Tips 4-10
- Tender Plant Care | Tips 11-15
- Fall Chores Checklists | Tips 16-19
- Tool Care | Tips 20-23
- Pruning & Trimming | Tips 24-32
- Birds & Bees | Tips 33-40
Love it? Share It!