Get ready for all new Square Foot Gardening! It’s the book that helped millions of home gardeners grow more fresh produce in less space with less work. Now updated and packed with more projects, information, photos, and illustrations, this new 3rd edition will launch a whole new generation of food growers.
Dig in and enter the draw to win some garden-tastic prizes.
This celebration of the upcoming book, All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew is sponsored by The Quarto Book Group.
All New Square Foot Gardening
The Book That Inspired a Million New Gardeners
I wish I had a dollar for every time a gardener has told me that they got started in food growing after hearing about the square foot gardening method.
Since it’s original publication in 1981, this book has encouraged so many new gardeners—and veggie growers looking for better methods—to grow incredible amounts of delicious, fresh produce in small spaces.
The success is in the simplicity. Grab some seeds or starter plants, follow the book, mark out your squares, and grow!
What You Need to Do
☑ Enter the giveaway (below). No purchase necessary.
☑ If you choose to pre-order the book, request your free bonus (see below).
* * * * * * * 2018 Giveaway Winners * * * * * * *
Watch this space for announcements each month
July | Lynn Hoffmann and Rene Edwards
August | Jen and Sue
September | Diana and Tonya
October | Theresa GZ and Rebecca A.
November (Grand Prize) | Carmie Teasdale
How Square Foot Gardening Works
I got to preview the book and it’s packed with images and helpful information—just how I like gardening books.
If you’re new to Square Foot Gardening, the idea is that you can grow a good amount of produce in a small space, working in square foot (12-inch square) sections.
The book guides you through from start to finish, showing everything you need to know to grow delicious, fresh food.
You choose the veggies you want, and get growing.
Here’s a sample planting plan:
Here’s what you can harvest:
It really is amazing how much food you can grow in a small space.
Here’s a living example of a square foot garden:
If you don’t have a raised garden bed, you can do the same thing in large flower pots.
And it doesn’t just have to be veggies: add flowers and herbs for a beautiful checkerboard of colours and textures.
That’s Mel Bartholomew who started this whole revolution.
Join The Celebration
If you’re new to this, the All New Square Foot Gardening is an excellent beginner resource. Or, maybe you’ve dabbled in veggie growing but want a reliable easy-to-follow system.
I love the idea of giving the book to friends who have expressed an interest in veggie gardening but do not know where to start.
The ultimate (to me) is to give it to kids at that age where they’re ready to get their hands in the soil and sow some seeds.
The November 15 release date will land it in good hands just in time for the holiday season and healthy green New Year’s resolutions.
- The Grand Prize is 5 books from the Square Foot Gardening library and a Square Foot Gardening tote bag.
- Everyone who enters is also entered in the monthly draws (2 winners) to each win 1 gardening book in addition to qualifying for the Grand Prize draw.
Monthly draws take place last day of July, August, September, and October.
See the regulations and how to enter (below).
If you choose to preorder the book here at Amazon any time between now and November 14, email me at [email protected] to receive the bonus one-page poster (in PDF printable format) featuring Mel’s Top Ten High Value Veggies. This lists the veggies that will give you the most bang for your gardening buck.
- No purchase necessary.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
- Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) and the continental United States.
- Entries must be received by November 14, 2018 at 11:59 pm EST.
- One entry per person and/or IP address.
- Monthly prizes: 1 garden book (awarded monthly) from The Quarto Publishing Group USA with an approximate total retail value of $35US. Two names will be randomly drawn each month.
- Grand prize: Square Foot Gardening Library (5 books and tote bag) from The Quarto Publishing Group USA with an approximate total retail value of $195US.
- Prize book titles are subject to availability and may vary from those shown.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- Winner will be selected randomly from eligible entries and listed on this post after closing. Winner will have seven days to claim their prize.
- Canadian giveaway winners are required to answer a skill-testing question.
- If potential prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded, at Empress of Dirt’s sole discretion.
- All prizes will be awarded.
- Void where prohibited by law.
By entering this giveaway, you agree to the terms and confirm you meet the entry requirements.
- 1 Read the sweepstakes rules and ensure you meet the requirements.
- 2 Leave a reply (comment below) with your US STATE or Canadian PROVINCE and tell us: have you ever tried square foot gardening?
- New comments are held for moderation and will not appear immediately.
If you pre-order the book, be sure to email me so I can send the bonus file: Mel’s Top Ten High Value Veggies.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
More Square Foot Gardening