If you love apples and cookies but don’t want to eat flour or refined sugar, this gluten-free recipe is for you.
These delicious snacks are easy to make, lower in calories than traditional cookies, and downright delicious.
If you would like more apple recipes, see The Best Apple Recipes from Salads to Pies.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
A Delicious Snack
This is a favourite treat. It evolved from my days eating an exclusively raw vegan diet. You can eat this raw or dehydrated (in a dehydrator or conventional oven). Either way it’s healthy, satisfying, and delish.
It can be made gluten-free or gluten-ous, depending on your preference. Once you read the recipe (really an ad-libbed concoction), you can see how you could add anything you like such as raisins and/or other nuts and seeds or other fruits.
Apple Nut Cookies Recipe
(makes one tray of cookies)
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, and grated. ( I love Jona Gold apples.)
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts and seeds. (I use walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds.)
- ¼ cup wheat germ, oat bran, flax meal (use what you have on hand- avoid grains such as wheat, barley, rye and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye) if you want them gluten-free
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- dash of salt if nuts and seeds are not salted
- ¼ cup maple syrup (optional, if you like it sweet). I prefer to eat sugar-free.
- Combine everything in a bowl. You want the apples to be coated so that the mixture sticks together enough to form cookie-ish units.
- Place large spoonfuls of mixture on non-stick dehydrator sheets, or baking sheets for oven.
- If you flatten them to about 1/3″ thick, they take about 9-10 hours @ 110F in the dehydrator.
- You can also bake them in a regular oven @ 250F. I don’t know how long it will take but I’m guessing 2-3 hours.
Remember there’s no flour or rising agents, so these will be chewy and nutty, not fluffy like cookies.
For Raw Breakfast Cereal-like Snack
Add milk – to cookie mixture or dehydrated cookies and stir. Enjoy at room temperature or warm everything gently on stove top or in microwave.
- ¼ cup coconut milk or cashew milk or almond milk.
- To make nut milks, simply soak raw nuts in water overnight. Pour off water, cover in fresh water and blend.
- Store in airtight container in fridge, good for one week.
Total comfort food but healthy for you!
Thinking of getting a dehydrator?
- I use my Excalibur Food Dehydrator to dry tomatoes, apples, and other fruits (dried mangoes are superb), and make raw crackers and bread. All wholesome and delectable.