Create a bee-friendly garden with these tips and ideas. Bees are one of many important pollinators in nature. With the right plants and organic growing methods, we can support them in our home gardens.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for shopping sites. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
All About Bees
I have always been intrigued by bees. And the more you know about them, the more interesting they are.
Here you will find information on bee-friendly plants, garden practices, and garden art and crafts related to bees.
Step one, above anything else, is to garden organically. All insects (and microbes) are extremely vulnerable to unnatural garden products such as herbicides, pesticides, bug sprays, and chemical fertilizers. Those tiny little bodies have no defense against an infusion of harmful chemicals in their food and water sources or air.
There is no sense growing a garden to attract pollinators (insects including bees, butterflies, birds) if deadly sprays are present.
Okay, that’s the lecture of the day. Now let’s see what we can do for the bees.
- Make a Trashcan Pollinator Garden | Good project for a small space
Bee Facts & News
- Natural Science News for Gardeners | There’s always more to know about bees
- Take the Bee Quiz and Test Your Bee Smarts | Packed with interesting stuff
What to Grow
The easiest decision is to grow native, non-invasive flowering plants. There are also plenty of hybrids that provide nectar and pollen and provide larval habitat, so butterflies can lay their eggs.
- 20 Fruits & Veggies Dependent on Insect Pollination | Plants and insects co-evolve. In exchange for nectar and pollen, bees help pollinate flowers.
- Want Butterflies? Grow These Host Larval Plants | This article shares a great book if you are interested in the world of pollinators
- How to Choose Wildlife Houses for Birds Bees Bats Owls | Providing housing and habitat for bees and other wildlife
- How to Make a Butterfly Water Feeder | On hot summer days, I see bees use this water feeder
- How to Make Beeswax Flower Pots with Pressed Flowers | Beeswax is beautiful to craft with
- How to Make Beeswax Candle Bowls | I use these as flower pots
- 15 Creative + Practical Beeswax Projects | More ideas for beeswax
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛