First we talked about basic cold food storage for vegetables, fruits, nuts, and herbs. Now it’s time to kick it up a notch with canning and preserving. I’ve gathered some highly recommended recipes from food-loving gardeners to inspire some new adventures in your kitchen.
Fall is the obvious time to preserve the harvest, but, once you’re comfortable with the basic methods, you can preserve food at any time of year whenever there is a bounty of fresh whole foods.
Storing fresh produce in your kitchen? Here’s a printable fresh fruit and vegetable storage cheat sheet.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites including eBay where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
Next Best to Fresh
I’m rather fanatical about fresh food. Nothing beats the deliciousness. And second best is capturing foods fresh from the garden at their peak and preserving them for future months.
Once you get the hang of preparing and preserving soups, stews, jams, pies, veggies, sauces, and pesto, the connection between the garden and the table is really complete.
These recipes come highly recommended. Not only will you find some enticing ideas, but it’s also interesting to learn different canning and preserving methods—often they are not only more efficient but safer than the old-fashioned methods we grew up with (sorry, mom!).
If you’re interested in my favourite kitchen gear for canning and preserving, see my top picks here on my blog at eBay (where I collaborate as a blogger).
Green Beans & Cucumbers
- Pickled green beans | An Oregon Cottage
- Quick and easy dill refrigerator pickles | House of Hawthornes
- Million dollar pickle cucumber relish | That Bloomin Garden
- Canned carrots | Grow a Good Life
- 3 Ways to preserve zucchini | Grow a Good Life
- Think outside the carbs! Fresh uses for zucchini (and more) | Empress of Dirt
- Bottled tomatoes | Lovely Greens
- Spicy green tomato chutney | Lovely Greens
- Fresh garden cherry tomato jam | New House New Home
- Storing dried tomatoes in olive oil | An Oregon Cottage
- Addictive tomato chutney | An Oregon Cottage
- Canned pizza sauce | An Oregon Cottage
- Hedgerow jelly | Lovely Greens
- 23 Recipes for preserving fruits | An Oregon Cottage
- Dried plums | An Oregon Cottage
- Fruit, flower, and vegetables wines | Lovely Greens
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛