This handy dandy portable mobile phone holder/speaker takes about 5 minutes to make, keeps your phone safe, and delivers just the right amount of sound while working in the garden.
This is one of 10 Smart and Frugal Garden Hacks using repurposed items.
Enjoy Your Tunes without Annoying Your Neighbours
I love to listen to podcasts on my phone while I work in the garden. Perhaps you like to listen to music? Or, you just want your phone handy for calls or notifications. Either way, it’s not really practical to wear earbuds whle digging, and watering, and hauling stuff around.
I also don’t like to wear a phone holder since it’s too likely to get bashed or dropped.
The other concern is, I absolutely do not want to be that neighbour that blares music and disturbs everyone else.
So, how can I listen to my shows, keep the phone safe, but not broadcast them for everyone else to hear?
Use a DIY mobile phone holder/speaker.
Here’s how to make one.
Some links go to my affiliate account at Amazon.com. I’m hoping you already have these supplies or can get them at the local thrift shop.
- Jar – choose one that is wider and slightly taller than your phone. Test a few with your phone, playing sound to see which one you like best.
- Mesh skimmer with bendable handle.
- Wire – I use 16 gauge wire for most garden projects.
- Wire cutters and needle-nose pliers.
- Alternate idea: use a metal hose clamp if you want to attach the jar to a permanent location like a tool caddy or trug.
You know how I said it takes less than five minutes to make? I guess you can see that here.
You could go fancy-schmancy, put beads on the wire or bend it really carefully to make it pretty. I had no idea I’d like mine so much so I just made it in a flash.
1. Bend the skimmer handle in half (backwards). I pressed mine over the side of the trug to be sure it would fit just right.
2. Using a piece of wire about twice the diameter of the jar, wrap it around the jar and secure the ends to the skimmer.
It’s kind of like an old-fashioned candlestick with a twist.
I love it that I can keep the phone off the ground (you never know when some dirt might be flying off the shovel!), listen to my shows, but keep the volume just high enough for me to hear but no one else. No one wants angry neighbours! Life is too short for such nonsense.
And, speaking of Stephanie of Garden Therapy, be sure to visit her site for all sorts of delightful garden-inspired crafts, recipes, and ideas.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
Seed Starting for Beginners | Ebook
$7.99 US | Instant DownloadAdd to Cart
Complete guide to indoor seed starting. Grow your own garden!
See contents ->