Fall is arguably the most beautiful and enjoyable times of year to work in the garden. Plus, if you harvest right, you get apple pie!
This is a resource hub for fall gardening tasks, maintenance, sowing and planting, harvesting, canning and preserving, and, of course, creating crafts, decor, and gifts from the bounty.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
NEW GUIDE Seed Starting for Beginners: Sow Inside Grow Outside
CLICK HERE. 😉
Fall Sowing & Growing
- Flower Seeds | 25 Flower Seeds to Sow in Fall
- Flowering Bulbs | 20 Flower Bulbs to Sow in Fall
- Quick-Growing Cool Season Veggies | 20 Quick-Growing Veggies
- Late Season Seed Sowing | When is it too late to sow seeds?
- Forcing Bulbs Indoors | When to force bulbs indoors (how to get the timing right)
- Plant Tags & Markers | Plant tags that are tough enough for winter weather
- Cool Weather Veggie Growing | My simple system for fall herbs and veggies
- Extend Your Growing Season | 7 DIY Cold frames, polytunnels, and more
- Jump-Start Your Spring Garden in Fall | Do these now and you’ll thank yourself later
How to Find Your Frost Dates and Hardiness Zone
Seed Starting for Beginners | Ebook
$5 US | Instant DownloadAdd to Cart
Complete guide to indoor seed starting. Grow your own garden!
See contents ->
This one-page list shares vegetables and herbs (below) you can grow during the colder months, as well as a schedule for getting the seeds started. I keep a copy in my garden notebook for reference.
Keep in mind that different varieties of the same vegetable can grow at very different paces, so be sure to check your seed packets to allow enough time from seed to harvest.
When you click on the button, this printable will be added to your cart. Don’t worry, there’s no cost, and you can download it instantly.
Fall Garden Tasks & Maintenance
- Fall Garden To-Do List | Which ones actually matter? And what should wait for the health of your garden
- Winter Composting | Yes, you can! Get your winter compost bin ready
- Mulch is Your Friend | Create Free Mulch from Tree Leaves
- Pond Care | Fall and Winter Home Garden Pond Care
- Tree & Shrub Pruning | When to prune and deadhead in your garden
- Easy Pruning Tool Guide | How to choose the right pruning tools
- Fall & Winter Composting | My easy cold weather compost method
Overwintering Annuals & Tender Perennials
- Zonal Geraniums | How to overwinter geraniums (for lots of flowers next year)
- Sweet Potato Vine | How to take cuttings from sweet potato vines (free plants!
- Fig Trees in Containers | How to overwinter tender potted trees including figs
Harvesting Food, Canning & Preserving
- Top Canning & Preserving Tips | Organic gardeners share their favourite canning & preserving techniques and recipes
- Veggie Chip Recipe | How to turn leftover veggies into snackable veggie chips
- Cold Storage Tips | How to properly keep foods in cold storage
- Apples for Pies | Which apples work best in pies and other baked goods?
- Apple Recipes | Best apple recipes from salads to pies (plus jams and cocktails)
Garden-Inspired Crafts, decor, and Gift Ideas
- Leaf Craft | Make Falling Leaves Decor
- Leaf Lantern | Make a Fall Leaf Lantern
- Lavender Crafts | 14 lavender crafts & recipes
- DIY Bug House | DIY thrift shop bug house
- Pinecone Crafts | DIY pinecone animals
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛