Fall is arguably the most beautiful and enjoyable time of year to work in the garden. Plus,you get apple pie! This is a resource hub for fall gardening tasks, maintenance, sowing and planting, winter preparations, spring jump starts, harvesting, canning and preserving, and, of course, creating crafts, decor, and gifts from the bounty.
Plus, it’s never too late to grow veggies: How to Grow Vegetables in the Winter (Outdoors).
Free Fall Garden Checklist
Let’s dive in.
First, grab the free checklist. It has all sorts of helpful reminders for the fall garden.
There are essentials—so you avoid winter damage to tender plants and decor—plus all the things that are nice to take care of for a better spring garden.
1Fall Planting, Seed Sowing, and Propagation
Some last minute projects: take cuttings and divide plants.
Everything you need for planting bulbs in garden beds and right in your lawn!
Seed Saving & Sowing
There are lots of seeds that do well if sown in autumn.
- Smart Seed Saving Tip For Best Results
- Time To Save Seeds? When the birds start eating them, it’s time.
- How To Save Heirloom Tomato Seeds
- 25 Flower Seeds to Sow in Fall
- How to Collect & Grow Milkweed Seeds
2Fall & Winter Vegetable Gardening
It’s my favorite time of year for growing veggies!
Resource Page: Fall & Winter Vegetable Growing
- 20 Quick-Growing Veggies | Fall & Spring
- Seeds to Sow in Summer for Fall and Winter Veggies | Free printable list
- How To Grow Vegetables In The Winter | Outdoor vegetable growing in a cold climate
This free two-page list shares vegetables and herbs (below) you can grow during the colder months, as well as a schedule for getting the seeds started. I keep a copy in my garden notebook for reference.
Keep in mind that different varieties of the same vegetable can grow at very different paces, so be sure to check your seed packets to allow enough time from seed to harvest.
How to keep tender perennials safe during the winter:
4Fall Cleanup & Spring Prep
Get this stuff done in fall and you will write yourself thank you notes in spring.
Compost Mulch Fertilizer
Have you turned your compost lately?
- 5 Excellent Reasons to Stop Bagging Fall Leaves
- Winter Composting in a Cold Climate
- How to Make a Worm Tower
- Beginner’s Guide to Organic Fertilizer for Home Gardens
Fall is the time to take care of dead, dying, damaged, and diseased branches that were overlooked in summer.
The burning question: when emptying pots, should you keep the potting mix for reuse?
Winterizing Pond, Patio, & Tools
Super important: protect your fish and plants!
- How to Enclose a Covered Patio with Vinyl Sheeting (Cheap + Easy Winterizing)
- How to Care for Your Pond—and Fish—in the Winter
- How to Remove Permanent Marker from Plastic Plant Tags
- How to Make Garden Tools Last a Lifetime
5 Creative Projects
Fall provides lots of craft materials!
Garden Art & Crafts
- Lavender Crafts and Recipes | Fragrant, Soothing, Delicious
- 20 Uses for Burlap Fabric in Your Home and Garden
- Get Crafty with Autumn Leaves | Decorative Project
- 12 Simple Winter Garden Art Ideas
- Fast & Creative Pumpkin Decorating Tips (No Carving)
- 25+ Creative Ways to Reuse Christmas Trees
Are you ready? Get your feeders clean and ready.
This is stuff to take care of mid-winter.
- How To Grow Asparagus From Crowns | Order your crowns early (mid-winter)
- How to Tap Trees for Syrup | Be ready in spring for the right time
- Seed Starting for Beginners | Complete guide to inside seed sowing
- What to Prune in Winter | Winter is prime time for tree trimming
Indoor Fall & Winter Gardening
Resource Page: Houseplant Growing Tips and Ideas
- Year-Round Indoor Poinsettia Care and Reblooming Tips
- How to Grow a Pineapple from the Grocery Store
- How to Force Flowering Bulbs Indoors and Get the Timing Just Right
2Indoor Veggies & Herbs
Resource Page: Get Started with Indoor Vegetable Gardening
- Grow Vegetables Indoors
- Growing Herbs Indoors | Printable
3Harvest / Food Preservation
- Join a Local Fruit Sharing Program
- Kale Buds, Pea Shoots, and Other Delicious Edibles Hiding in Your Veggie Garden
- Cold Storage 101: Food Preservation Tips
- Best Apple Recipes From Salad To Pies
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛