In celebration of the 1st annual National Gardening Day (April 14), we’ve got some gardening goodies for you.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
NEW Top Garden Tip Sheets
Dig In & Grow
In celebration of National Gardening Day, Cool Spring Press and Quarto Publishing Group are sponsoring this giveaway of some favourite new gardening books. It’s all about encouraging you to dig in, grow a garden, and—most importantly—love the goodness nature has to offer. There’s healing and happiness in the soil!
The winner will receive 4 fabulous gardening books covering a range of subjects.
1 Gardening Complete | Authors of Cool Springs Press
How to Best Grow Vegetables, Flowers, and Other Outdoor Plants
- Katie Elzer-Peters on soil and compost
- Rhonda Fleming Hayes on pollinator gardens
- Charlie Nardozzi on container gardening
- Tara Nolan on raised beds
- Dr. Jacqueline A. Soule on watering, fertilizing, and pruning
- Lynn Steiner on native plants
- Jessica Walliser on weed and pest control
- George Weigel on botany
Gardening Complete is the most up-to-date and complete guide to gardening for homeowners. Inside, eight of North America’s top gardening experts—and Cool Springs Press authors—present 19 subjects of critical interest to anyone who wants to learn or broaden gardening skills.
Whether your main interest is in designing landscapes and gardens, ornamental gardening to make your yard more attractive, or gardening to provide nutritious edibles for the family table, this book will become your definitive source of information.
It is intended for serious beginning to intermediate gardeners, but even veteran gardeners will be intrigued by what these experts have to say about core gardening skills and common horticultural subjects.
More from the Authors:
- Raised Garden Bed Options for Your Growing Space | Tara Nolan
- 48 Plants to Grow for Butterflies | Rhonda Fleming Hayes
2 Straw Bale Solutions | Joel Karsten
Creative Tips for Growing Vegetables in Bales at Home, in Community Gardens, and around the World
In backyards and all across the world, Straw Bale Gardening has spread with unprecedented speed. The reason? In any climate and on any continent, you can grow beautiful, fresh vegetables where no food has grown before.
In Straw Bale Solutions, you will meet dozens of Straw Bale Gardeners who inspire and educate. You will recognize your own gardening challenges and you will see how to use their experiences to write your own SBG success story.
3 Vegetables Love Flowers | Lisa Mason Ziegler
Companion Planting for Beauty and Bounty
Fight garden pests and increase your yields the natural way with this tried and true technique!
Planting vegetables and flowers together is one of the oldest ways to create a healthy, bountiful garden, but there’s more to the method than you might think. Vegetables Love Flowers will walk you through the ins and outs of companion planting, from how it works to which plants go together and how to grow the best garden for your climate.
With the right information and some careful planning, you can help your plants thrive–and beautify your garden in the process.
4 Container Gardening Complete | Jessica Walliser
Creative Projects for Growing Vegetables and Flowers in Small Spaces
Container Gardening Complete has everything you need to know to successfully garden in a small space, including step-by-step directions, photographs, and information on more than 125 plants.
The ideal book for urban gardeners, indoor gardeners, and vegetable gardeners, Container Gardening Complete is a thorough visual guide that will get you growing quickly! Whether you are growing vegetables, fruits, or flowers on an apartment balcony; creating a small vegetable garden for personal use; or decorating steps and walkways, this hard-working book is your go-to resource.
See more from Jessica here:
- Growing Veggies in Containers from Spring to Fall
- Make A Trashcan Pollinator Garden | Container Gardening Complete
- No purchase necessary.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
- Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) and the continental United States.
- Entries must be received by April 28, 2018 at 11:59 pm EST.
- One entry per person and/or IP address.
- Prize includes 4 books from The Quarto Publishing Group USA with an approximate total retail value of $85US.
- Titles are subject to availability and may vary from those shown.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- Winner will be selected randomly from eligible entries and listed on this post after closing. Winner will have seven days to claim their prize.
- Canadian giveaway winners are required to answer a skill-testing question.
- If potential prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded, at Empress of Dirt’s sole discretion.
- All prizes will be awarded.
- Void where prohibited by law.
By entering this giveaway, you agree to the terms and confirm you meet the entry requirements.
1 Read the sweepstakes rules and ensure you meet the requirements.
2 Leave a reply (below) with your US STATE or Canadian PROVINCE and tell us something you want to do with your garden this year.
If this is your first time commenting on this site, your comment will be held for moderation and then published.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛