Pests. Weeds. Invasive species. They’re all a part of garden life. The trick, as an organic grower, is to minimize the negative effects while respecting nature. Here’s some tips and myths to help you up your game.
Dealing with Challenges in the Garden
Many of us grew up in a culture that considered nature something to be conquered. But, once you get your hands in the garden, you see things differently. Nature is not something to be controlled or overcome, but instead to find one’s place in it, and garden in harmony with it. It’s a back and forth. Give and take. But, mostly a bending to what natures does best. There will always be highs and lows, hits and misses, great surprises and meh moments, but that’s part of the beauty of it. It’s a living, changing thing.
Yes, bad things like pests and sneaky invasive plants happen to our beloved garden plants. But, by paying attention to causes, and then adjusting and adapting, we can often shift to create conditions that minimize problems. An example is growing veggies amongst flowers. Without a swath of one large crop, more of the food chain are invited in and pest management can occur naturally. Not perfectly, but better.
Invasive species (both plant and animal) are also a challenge and can be devastating. For many, we do not have solutions. But neither does it make sense to introduce other problems with products that kill off everything indiscriminately. I’d rather hand-pick what I can and accept that life in the garden is not perfect.
The greatest defence in an organic gardener’s toolkit is preventative measures. Take care of the soil and enrich it naturally with compost. Do what you can to grow strong, healthy plants that are, in turn, less vulnerable to destructive pests. Grow diversely to support a range of living things and select plants that are truly suited to your climate and growing conditions. All those provide a strong foundation of a healthy garden.
- How to Catch Japanese Beetles | Here’s an example of an invasive species that is gobbling up gardens in Canada and the United States (gradually spreading west).
- How to Remove Weeds from a Brick Pathway without Herbacides | It’s not easy but neither is it poisonous.
- 7 Weeding Tips Every Gardener Should Know | These make it much easier!
- Common Garden Pests and Their Natural Controls | Remedies for dozens of pests.
- Myths and Facts About Ladybugs in Your Garden | Wait! Before you release them in your garden….
- Oh No You Didn’t! 6 Common Gardening Mistakes | Beginner info that can prevent problems.
- Popular Garden Myths that Just Keep Spreading | Please, no Epsom salts.
- 48 Smart Money-Saving Garden Ideas | More preventative measures to thwart pests.
- The Problem with Epsom Salts | The garden myth that never stops
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛