If you’ve been reading Empress of Dirt for a while you probably know I’m a big fan of debt-free living and all of the habits that go with it. Not only is it a more secure way to live (in the face of so much uncertainty these days), but it also requires some ingenuity and perseverance that appeals to my creative self.
Since I wrote about frugal shopping tips last year, there’s a new money-saving tool I use that I’m quite enamoured with so I thought it’s time for an update.
As you’ll see, it’s saving us even more money—with less effort—every time we shop. And, just for the record, this is not a sponsored post and I have no relationship with the app developers. I’m simply a fan.
For all of my home organization and financial tips, also see How to De-Clutter Your Finances and Live Debt-Free.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
Debt-free living (to me) isn’t about being cheap, but getting the best value for your money while living within your means.
Here’s 3 basics:
- Know your budget. This gives you a framework to work with: a ceiling to avoid bumping your head on. Here’s how we set a budget.
- Know what things cost. This tells you what to expect and whether it’s even affordable.
- Decide how much you’re willing to spend. And knowing how much you’re willing to spend is where the magic happens. Once you get a feel for possible sale or discount prices, it’s all a waiting game. Do you need this thing right now-really?-or can you wait for a better deal to come along?
This post explains my entire process for finding the best deals on used or ‘previously enjoyed’ stuff.
Tool for Saving Money Every Time You Shop
I use the Flipp app on my mobile phone. It’s free and available for android and IOS. I’ve tried others but this is by far my favourite.
Here’s how it works.
- The app lists all the current sales flyers for my area.
- Enter any item in the search box and the app will show me where/if it is on sale.
But this is where it gets even better.
There’s a shopping list as well.
- I just type in what I need to buy and the app lets me know if any of the items are on sale. I don’t even have to look through the flyers!
- In other words, if the item is on sale, my shopping list tells me.
- I select the flyer that has the best deal and either purchase the item at that store or use the app to price match at another store (that offers price matching).
- Show the highlighted item to the cashier and you get the deal.
Prior to Flipp, I used to scour the ads, circle deals, and bring the flyers to the shops or screen cap them for the cashiers to price match. Now the Flipp app is doing all the work for me, saving me time and money.
And for you skeptics who say, what about the cost of the mobile phone?
Here’s the bonus.
I got my phone for a deal (of course, right?) and the savings I get by price-matching with the Flipp app are actually often greater than the monthly cost of my phone.
I know, right? It’s pretty awesome. <– I had to say ‘awesome’ in case my kids read this so they can tease me about it. They still don’t know how cool I really am.
If you’ve tried the app (or will now) or have another money-saving tip to share, let me know. Her Majesty is always on the look out for good value and savings.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛