Is your clematis turning brown? What kind of hydrangea is this and when should I prune it? How can I have big, tall delphiniums? Which live plants are best in a miniature garden? Which vegetables grow best in sandy soil? These are just a few of the questions answered in these top gardening posts on Empress of Dirt.
For indoor growing tips, have a look at these articles on houseplants.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for shopping sites. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
Grow with Your Garden
I am not a gardening expert. I simply love being in the gardening, growing a lot of plants—particularly flowering and edible ones, and making garden art. When I’m interested in a plant, I learn everything I can about it and love to try things out. What’s the best way to propagate this? Can I grow these veggies indoors? You name it, I try it.
These articles come from those little obsessions. I’m happy to share what I’ve learned and I really like having the photos and information for my own future reference. The plant world is infinite and it is easy to forget all the lessons learned along the way. A garden blog is simply a modern garden journal of sorts.
These are the most popular garden tips from the past year. My goal is to encourage creativity both by growing and making, so please, follow your loves and dig in.
How to Grow
Seed Starting 101
- How I start seeds indoors for outdoor plants
- How to speed up seed germination
- Optimum soil temperatures for seed starting
- Smart tips for sowing tiny seeds (so you don’t lose them)
- Beginner Guide to Organic Fertilizers | for home garden use
Want Continuous Blooms?
- Perennial Flower Bloom Times | Free Printable List
- Asparagus | How to grow asparagus from crowns (it’s fast)
- Clematis | Easy care guide | Grow clematis from cuttings
- Cuttings | How to grow plants from seeds and cuttings
- Delphiniums | Growing tips
- Foxgloves | Growing tips
- Flowering Perennials | Plants for a cottage-style garden
- Geraniums | How to overwinter geraniums
- Hardwood cuttings | Grow shrubs & vines from hardwood cuttings
- Herbs| Growing tips and light chart
- Honeysuckle | Growing honeysuckle from cuttings
- Hostas | Growing tips and list of sun-tolerant hostas
- Hydrangeas | How to identify and care for hydrangeas
How to Grow Hydrangea from Cuttings
- Miniature plants for tiny gardens | Best live mini plants
- Peas | How to grow peas | shell, snap, snow, sugar
- Poppies | Why you should grow them
- Raspberries | How to transplant raspberries
- Seed saving | Old-fashioned seed saving tip
- Strawberries | Growing tips | More growing tips and recipes
- Succulents | Grow more from the ones you have
- Sunflowers | Growing tips – what to avoid
- Sweet potato vine | Growing tips | How to grow from cuttings
- Tea | See all the plants you can grow for making your own tea
- Vegetables | What to grow in clay soil | Sandy soil | Drought conditions
Answers to Common Questions
- How to attract pollinators to the garden
- When is it too late to start seeds outdoors?
- Which plants need insects for pollination?
Frugal Gardening Tips
Raised Garden Beds
If you struggle with poor soil, growing in containers and raised garden beds may be the solution. This certainly transformed my first garden (terrible clay soil).
Have a look at design ideas, the best wood to use, creative additions, and more.
Invasive Plants, Weeds, Pests, and Pruning
- 7 Weeding tips every gardener should know
- Guide for dealing with garden pests without pesticides
- When to prune or deadhead your garden
- My best / simplest pruning tips
- How to keep compost without attracting rats (and friends)
Shade Garden Tips
- Veggies you can grow in the shade
- Colourful flowering plants for a shade garden
- Herbs you can grow in shade
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
Seed Starting for Beginners | Ebook
$5 US | Instant DownloadAdd to Cart
Complete guide to indoor seed starting. Grow your own garden!
See contents ->