These are the supplies recommended in my new ebook, Growing Salads Indoors.
I’ve linked to examples on Amazon but I always recommend you use what you have, shop locally (used if possible), or borrow items if you can instead of buying new.
- Seeds – Mesclun salad mix seeds (at least 500 seeds/900 mg per 2×4’ of growing space).
See them at Amazon.com or find a seed seller near you: Seed Company Listings.
- Shelves – A shelving unit on wheels is ideal.
Get a basic shelf unit or one that comes with grow lights.
- Drip trays – One for each shelf to catch water under your salad pots.
You could use boot trays like these ones, plastic drip trays, or lids from storage bins.
- Tarp – Waterproof tarp to go under the shelving unit to catch spills.
Any tarp will do or you could also use an old shower curtain.
- Fluorescent shop lights – 1 light unit per 12 (3.5” wide x 4″ deep) pots or 3-4 light units per 2×4’ shelf (up to 48 pots).
Here’s some examples of shop lights on Amazon.com.
- S-hooks and chains or 16-gauge wire – to suspend and adjust height of fluorescent lights as the plants grow.
If you get the right type of lights, they should have some hanging chains included.
- Timer/Power Bar – to power lights and fan.
I find digital timers are hit and miss: some work great, others never do. You can see some here on Amazon.com.
- Electric fan
Any household fan you may already own should work fine for this.
- Pots/Containers – plastic, 4” deep (or more) with drainage holes.
I reuse 3.5″ wide plastic pots from garden nurseries. Be sure any container you use is food-safe.
- Soil – organic potting soil / container mix intended for growing veggies (food-safe).
- Watering can & spray bottle – a long-neck watering can is ideal for reaching under the lights.
Here’s an example of a watering can I like.
Additional supplies for sowing the seeds indoors
- Bucket or similar container (for combining the soil with water).
- Rubber gloves (if you don’t like to work the soil with bare hands).
- Water (always use room temperature or slightly warmer water when watering indoor plants).
- Waterproof drop cloth for spills and rag for clean up.