Welcome to Empress of Dirt!
|Melissa J. Will the Empress of Dirt ♛
Email: [email protected]
Starting From Scratch
Have you ever seen a gorgeous garden and thought, I want that but I have no idea to get started?
That was me when I started out as a gardener. I went on my first local garden tour and saw this fabulous and unusual garden—just blocks from my own home—filled with gorgeous plants and garden art.
It was quirky, beautiful, and unique, and the actual landscape had all the same flaws that I was fighting in my own yard.
I met the gardener and she told me she did everything on a very low budget and started out with little or no gardening knowledge.
That was all I needed to hear.
I thought to myself: If she can do it, I can too! Right?
Mind you, I had no idea what I was doing, or how I’d get there, but just hearing that it was possible to make something so wonderful on a tiny budget with a terrible yard, changed my thinking and suddenly I knew I would have my dream garden one day.
All these years later, after many plants, trials, errors, sweet successes, and repurposed garden art projects, I have indeed got the garden of my dreams—but it’s definitely not the end game.
What I learned along the way is, the cliché is true: it’s all about the journey, not the destination.
Gardens are living things that grow and change and continually renew. We can plan and plot and scheme to achieve certain milestones, but there will always be negotiation with nature, and, if we’re lucky, we will adapt and engage in ways that offer us something even better than we envisioned.
If you’re just starting out or simply want some creative ideas to use for your growing space—whether it’s a balcony, patio, or yard, you’ve come to the right place.
I started out with a budget of just $100 per year, and now, all these years later (and a move from my old dream garden to a new barren one where I had to start from scratch), I’m still a total frugalista. I love the garden, the plants, the wildlife, the seasons, and my place in it.
Follow along and I’ll do my best go share my best with you and help you find the way to your dream garden too.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
- Seed Starting for Beginners | Sow Inside Grow Outside | Read more
- Top Garden Tip Sheets | Handy Checklists & Growing Tips | Read more
- 20 Printable Garden Art Project Tip Sheets | Read more
- One-of-a-Kind Garden Ideas | For Your Growing Space | Read more
- How to Paint Shoes | A beginner’s guide for creating custom canvas shoes with acrylic paint | Read more
- Fabric Dyeing 101 | Simple instructions for beautiful fabrics | Read more
- Growing Salads Indoors | A beginner’s guide to producing healthy, delicious greens in your home year-round | Read more
Regular mail only. Cannot accept courier deliveries at this address.
- Melissa J Will – Empress of Dirt
PO BOX 20012 78 FRONT ST E
STRATHROY ON N7G 4L6 CANADA
- All content on this site is © 2000-2018 – Melissa J. Will (Empress of Dirt) unless otherwise stated.
- Permission is not required to use one of my images if you clearly provide a direct link back to this source wherever the image appears.
- Bonus points if you provide the direct link in the alt tag of the image as well.
- Use of any written content/copy/text on this site is not permitted.
- Guest posts are not accepted at this time.
- Please contact me[email protected] for any other permissions.And please, spend time outside today. It’s better there. 🙂