Privacy Fence Ideas
Privacy fences or screens can turn a so-so backyard garden into a comfortable retreat. While trees, vines, and shrubs are the obvious choices to block neighbours from looking into your yard, they also take a long time to grow. While you’re waiting, there are ways to position or extend garden architcture items like fences, sheds, screens, or other structures to maximize the privacy.
A lot of us want cheap privacy fence ideas (me too!). I took these photos on local garden tours, always paying attention to how they made the garden seem more private or intimate, even when there are neighbours close by.
As you’ll see from the photos, sometimes it just takes a clever addition, such as adding to the height of a fence, or positioning a screen a few feet in from the existing fence, to further block the view into your yard. This shows you the trick for proper placement of a privacy screen to ensure maximum privacy.
Before you build anything, it’s best to check local bylaws and ordinances to see what is allowed and obtain any necessary permits.
Privacy Screen In The Yard
1. This first one is set a few feet from the property line and the wood supports lean on the smaller fence behind it. If there are fence height regulations where you live, this is a good workaround.
This is a really good choice if you are trying to block out the view from a taller building. By setting the screen in from the property line, you will actually provide more privacy from than you would if your fence was taller.
2. This square grid lattice provides some privacy (and shade) but also allows good air circulation:
3. In this next one, they extended the support posts of the fence and added homemade lattice to the top section. Vines will eventually fill it in:
4. This shows how the post extensions were attached:
5. These screens also have vines growing up them:
6. Here latice was framed and suspended from chains from a structure made of 4×4′s:
7. This large scale lattice was used to provide a divider between the sitting area and the lawns:
8. High density lattice walls and an arbour conceal the compost area:
Here’s one more view of the hanging screens:
Some improve privacy, others simply add vertical interest to the garden. I hope you found some ideas for your garden.