These 12 garden art projects can be made for under $20. Creative and low-cost and most are ready in one afternoon.
12 Creative and Frugal DIY Garden Projects Under $20
What happens when you ask gardening friends for some frugal garden project ideas?
You get an avalanche of fun, smart ideas!
And the good news is: you make any of these projects for under $20 – and in many cases, depending on the supplies you have on hand, they could be free.
Ideas here include fun decor items: birdhouse, bird baths, totems, a tiered planter, and more. You’ll also get gift ideas for projects with lavender, and making mosquito-repelling homemade citronella candles, which would be welcome at any evening get-together on the patio.
And don’t throw out those hideously uncomfortable panty-hose. You’ll need them for a gorgeous succulent wreath.
Project Instructions – Visit Each Site For Instructions And How-Tos
1. Give charm to an old box with chalk paint –by Heather – New House, New Home, New Life
Heather used homemade chalk paint and a cute label to bring this old wooden box back to life. See how to make chalk paint in the book Colour Recipes for Painted Furniture and More.
2. Make a stone birdhouse – by Melissa – Empress of Dirt
Stone birdhouses like these ones can be quite expensive to buy, but you can make your own for under $20 and customize the design to suit your own style.
3. Teacup bird feeder – by Melissa – Empress of Dirt
There are so many ways to use tea cups in the garden. This project combines a teacup bird feeder with a repurposed glass totem.
4. How to make citronella candles – by Stephanie – Garden Therapy
Make citronella patio candles or pick another scent including eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint, or oregano!
5. Panty hose succulent wreath – by Jacki – Drought Smart Plants
Liberate your panty-hose and make yourself a succulent wreath.
6. Watering can fountain – by Judy – Magic Touch And Her Gardens
Judy put this fountain together using things she had on hand – so the cost was nothing but the result is great.
These instructions will show you how to make a waterfall or fountain feature.
7. Flower pot chair – by Karin – Lebensart im Markgräflerland
Karin’s project is easy-peasy: this old chair is just the right size to hold the old pot of plants.
Her blog is in German (just use the translate button or add one to your browser) but her specialty requires no translation -delicious recipes ideas using food fresh from the garden.
8. Framed lobelia plant – by Carlene – Organized Clutter
How beautiful is this? Carlene will show you how she made this wonderful garden art with a frame and a pot of flowers.
9. Make your own birdbath – by Barb – Our Fairfield Home and Garden
This easy project that creates a great focal point – see how Barb made this birdbath – and do snoop around her site – her garden is creative and beautiful.
10. Lavender gift giving ideas – by Lynne – Sensible Gardening
Lynne has some great ideas for using lavender in various projects. Smells good to me!
11. Flea Market Glass Garden Totem –by Sue and Jeanne – Flea Market Gardening
Hop on over to Flea Market Gardening to see how easy it is to make your own birdbath from glassware. And if you love great garden junk, I may never see you again!
12. Staggered planter for instant curb appeal – by Carol – The Gardening Cook
Does the front of your home need a something-something to make it stand out?
See how Carol made this staggered planter for instant curb appeal. You can see how to make tipsy pots here.
I hope you’ve found some ideas you can use in your garden. There’s lots more free garden art project ideas here. Enjoy!
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛