Follow this step-by-step tutorial to hand paint owls on stones. Includes recommended materials for best results.
Tips for Stone Painting
If you want to make designs like the ones shown here, I do recommend getting the book. There are 30 different designs, each with before, during, and after photos so you can see the design process.
If you love these designs, you can use the same art supplies to hand-paint other surface including clay flower pots.
Choosing & Preparing Stones
- It helps to have a design in mind when choosing your stones, so the size and shape will fit what you are hoping to create.
- Before you paint, sand any rough surfaces with extra-fine grit sandpaper and then wash the stones and allow them to dry thoroughly.
- If a stone is still rough, you can apply a few coats of acrylic paint to smooth the surface.
Tools & Materials
- Good quality artist’s paint brushes in a variety of sizes from 0 to 3.
- Acrylic craft paints
- Pencil to first draw your design on the stone
- Paint pens
- Acrylic inks and fineliner pens for outlining details
- Acrylic varnish with UV protection (glossy or matte, liquid or spray form)
Paint an Owl on Stone
This selection from The Art of Stone Painting: 30 Designs to Spark Your Creativity by F. Sehnaz Bac is provided with permission from Dover Publications, Inc. who also provided a review copy of this book.
These next images show the steps for painting owls.
Be sure to let your paint and ink dry thoroughly before adding the next details for your design.
You can speed up the paint-drying process by using a hairdryer.
When your design is complete and the paint is dry, protect it with an acrylic varnish that includes UV protection to prevent the colors from fading.
I hope you’ll give this project a try. And if you make some, I would love to see your creations.
Watch Hand-Painting Techniques
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
PS: For more also see 14 Owl-Inspired Garden Art Projects & Ideas.