A helpful directory of online plant databases, primarily in the United States and Canada, for information on plant names, growing zones, research, and images to help ID plants.
- All Plants | National Gardening Association Plants Database (US)
Search by characteristics, genus, and images
- All Plants | USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (US)
Includes common & scientific names, photos, growing zones
- Identify Plants | Garden.org
Enter characteristics to identify your plant
- Invasive Species | invasivespeciesinfo.gov (US)
Includes land and aquatic plants
- Native Plants | North American Native Plant Society Database (North America)
Search by type, habitat, light, soil conditions
- Native Plants Database| Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (North America)
- New England | Go Botany | Identify plants
- Trees | What tree is it? | (Based in Ohio, US)
Search by leaf, fruit, name
- Weeds | New Jersey Weed Gallery and Is This Plant a Weed?
- Insects, Spiders, & More | BugGuide.net
- Keystone Plants by Ecoregion | The National Wildlife Federation (North America)
- Invasive Species | invadingspecies.com (Ontario, Canada)
Includes terrestrial and aquatic plants, fish, forest pests, invertebrates, and pathogens
- Native Plants | Can-plant.ca (Canada)
Browse by region, name, characteristics, and plant type or species
- Native Plant Encyclopedia | Canadian Wildlife Federation
- Pollinator-Friendly Native Plants | Pollinatorpartnership.ca (Canada)
- Plant Selector For Birds By Garden Zone | Birds Canada
- Weeds | weedinfo.ca (Canada)
Search by broadleaf, grassy, and perennial weeds
- Ontario CropIPM | broadleaf, grass, and perennial weed gallery
- Identify Seeds | Canada food inspection database with images
- BC Invasive Species | Includes plants, animals, fish, insects, and fungi
- All Plants | UK – Royal Horticultural Society (UK)
Search by sun, soil, characteristics, plant type, or season
World Plants Database
- All Plants | canadaplants. ca (Canada and world) – link no longer active
Woody, bulbs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, wildflowers, and weeds
Find Your Frost Dates & Hardiness Zone
- Plant Hardiness Zones | United States | Canada
These are listed on seed packets and plant tags to guide your choices.
Plants by Species / Type
- Garden.org Online Plant Databases – all plant types
Includes listings of online plant databases for specific states, regions, and plant species.
Here are some popular ones:
- Clematis | Identify your clematis – good for figuring out which clematis you have
Also see National Gardening Association Clematis Database
- Ornamental Grasses
- Tomatoes | Rutgers Database
- Wildflowers – Regional Listings
Plant Research & Evaluations
- Search | Google Scholar for research papers
- Search | University Extension research papers | Check that research is peer-reviewed.
- Reference | How to properly write plant names | PDF file
- The Global Seed Vault in Norway | Learn how it protects seed species from around the world
Plant ID Phone Apps
IOS and Android
The idea is great: use your phone to photograph a plant you want to identify and ask the app to ID it or narrow down the options (if it’s unsure).
I can’t say I’ve ever found a plant identification app that was accurate. Out of every 10 queries, perhaps 5 might be correct.
Also, a lot of these apps seemed to have moved to a paid model where there is a fee to either buy the app or request help.
After my last round of testing, I liked this one (somewhat):
Garden Answers | https://www.gardenanswers.com/
although I mainly rely on Google Lens.
If you’ve found one you think is excellent, I’d love to know.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
Seed Starting for Beginners
Sow Inside Grow Outside
by Melissa J. Will
Everything you need to get started with indoor seed starting for indoor and outdoor plants. Grow what you want—any time of year!
This ebook is a digital file (PDF format) you save to your device. It is not a physical product.
PayPal, Credit Card, Apple Pay
Due to tax regulations, digital purchases to EU, UK, and Northern Ireland are not available at this time.