These reindeer cupcakes are a favorite at school bakes sales. Start with my best chocolate cupcake and frosting recipe and add pretzels, vanilla wafers, and candy to create these adorable guys.
I also have more dessert recipes here.
Reindeer Cupcake Recipe
We always make these for the annual holiday fundraiser at my daughter’s school and they sell out fast. And why not? They are as delicious as they are cute.
It all starts with the best chocolate cupcakes and frosting: I have included the recipe below.
Creating the reindeer faces is pretty simple when you have the right supplies. You will find all of the ingredients listed in the recipe.
Related: Mini Oreo Cheesecakes Recipe
- 2 large Eggs
- 1¼ cups White sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk or 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ⅔ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1½ cups Flour, white, all-purpose all-purpose
- ½ cup Cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Butter unsalted, softened
- 3 cups Icing sugar
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Combine eggs and sugar in electric mixer.
- Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt until everything is well combined.The batter will be fairly liquid-y but don't worry—this is just right for baking.
- Fill muffin tins ⅔ full, leaving room for cupcakes to expand in oven.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- If you want to make your reindeer look like mine, first mix the icing without the cocoa, Set a tablespoon of this white icing aside, and then mix the 1/3 cup cocoa powder in the remaining icing. The white icing is used for the eyes.
- Combine butter and icing sugar in electric mixer.
- Gradually add milk and vanilla.
- Set aside tablespoon of white icing for reindeer eyes.
- Gently blend cocoa powder into icing.
- When well-combined, increase speed until nice and fluffy.
- Set aside heaping tablespoon of chocolate frosting for attaching decorations.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and apply vanilla wafer muzzles as you go before icing dries.
- Create the faces first and add ears and antlers last.
- Use extra chocolate icing to attach noses (red m&ms).
- Draw smiling mouth with black soft gel.
- Add dabs of white icing and attach brown m&m eyes.
- Use chocolate sticks as ears.
- Insert pretzels as antlers.
- Store in airtight container in fridge up to 7 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛