This is a simple recipe for making all-natural apple sauce without any added sugar.
For more, also see these healthy food ideas.
Simple, N0-Added Sugar Apple Sauce
I am an apple fanatic (shout out for Jona Golds!) and I’ve always loved fresh apple sauce. In my childhood home it was always made by boiling whole apples and then running them through a sieve. It never occurred to me to try a different method until a few years ago when I had a craving but I didn’t have a sieve.
What you’ll see here is what I think is the easiest way to make pure, nutritious, sugar-free apple sauce. And it’s fast and easy: I can have a big batch ready in around 30 minutes.
Chose A Variety Of Apples For Great Taste
This is the first year I have apples from my very own dwarf apple tree. I planted it just two years ago and I was amazed by the abundance of apples it produced this year.
When making apple sauce, I really like to use several types of apples. The combination of flavours makes a deeper, lovely taste.
For quantity, consider how many peeled apples will fit in your pot. I use a big soup/canning pot and use about 20 apples per batch.
Prepare The Apples
- Peel, core, and dice the apples into equal size pieces.
I give some apple peels to our pet rabbit (it’s his favourite) and the rest goes in the composter.
Boil The Apples
- Add the apple pieces to a large soup or canning pot. Add just enough water to cover approximately 1/3 of the apples.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Depending on how hard the apples are, it will take between 10 and 20 minutes once the water is boiling.
Taste and Adjust If You Must
That’s it! Now taste it and see if you like it as is. Sometimes I add some dashes of cinnamom when serving it. If you must, you can add sugar to sweeten it, but acquiring a taste for unsweetened apple sauce is a good thing.
You could properly can the apple sauce in jars to save it for the future. I like to make a fresh batch every two weeks.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
- How to Give Up Sugar | Living the Keto Lifestyle
- Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks | Perfect for keto people
- Grow Your Own Green Smoothies | Local deliciousness
- 12 Healthy & Delicious Vegetarian Soup Recipes | Any time of year
- How to Make Veggie Chips | To shift away from potato chips
- Apple Cookies the Natural Way | No added sugar, no gluten, no grains
- How I Learned to Run at Middle Age | And you can too