This DIY outdoor plant shelf is a simple building project. Made from 2×4 lumber, you can build it in hour. Dress it up with burlap fabric and display your houseplants or flowering annuals outdoors on a wall for the summer.
If you like creative planter ideas, also see 40 Unique Container Gardening Ideas.
Make an Outdoor Plant Shelf
This is a great idea for displaying plants on a house, patio, or shed wall.
It’s a simple wood structure dressed up with lengths of burlap fabric and tropical plants.
Supplies and Materials
- Wood | 2×4 lumber | You could also use pallet wood
- Wood screws | 2.5″ #8 deck screws
- Electric drill and drill bit for pilot holes
#8 screws require a 7/64″ drill bit for the pilot holes and a 3/8″ countersink bit.
- Hardware cloth (lead-free or stainless steel) / small grid chicken wire
- Burlap fabric
- Electric stapler (optional)
- Potting mix
- Plan | Draw out an assembly plan for the frame, working with the dimensions of the lumber and what final size you would like the shelf to be. I’ve provided a sample plan for a 3×6-foot shelf unit.
It’s just a large rectangle with cross pieces. Design it to fit what you want to display on it.
- Wood | 2×4 lumber is actually 1 1⁄2 in × 3 1⁄2 in (38 mm × 89 mm). Use these actual dimensions when planning your wood cuts so everything will fit.
- I like to draw up a plan and get all the cuts done at the store. If you get a good customer service rep, s/he’ll check to make sure your plan works. Easy!
- Create the inner section first by screwing horizontal shelf piece to vertical pieces, working left to right. When the entire inner section is complete, add outer frame pieces.
- Finish | Use 6″ strips of hardware cloth (or chicken wire) across the face of each shelf area (front and back) to contain the planting areas. Attach with small wood screws or staples.
- Option 1 | Liner | Line planting areas with burlap and wrap it over edges to hide the hardware cloth. Hold burlap in place with wood staples if needed.
- Fill planting areas with container soil and add plants.
- Option 2 | Containers | Use plants in containers.
Related: 12 Practical Uses for Burlap in the Garden (plus craft & decor ideas)
More Shelf Planter Ideas
Pallet Flower Planter
Here’s a version made by Empress of Dirt Facebook friend Maria.
I saw this pallet herb garden on a garden tour:
If you enjoy ideas like this, be sure to sign up for the free newsletter.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
25 Garden Art Projects & Ideas
by Melissa J. Will
Grab the top garden art DIY projects and tips from Empress of Dirt
About This Ebook | Visit Ebook Shop
This ebook is a digital file (PDF format) you save to your device. It is not a physical product.
PayPal, Credit Card, Apple Pay