This DIY outdoor plant shelf is a simple building project. Made from 2×4 lumber, you can build it in hour. Dress it up with burlap fabric and display your houseplants or flowering annuals for the summer.
If you like creative planter ideas, also see 40 Unique Container Gardening Ideas.
Make an Outdoor Plant Shelf
This is a great idea for displaying plants on a house or shed wall.
It’s a simple wood structure dressed up with lengths of burlap fabric and tropical plants.
Tips for Building Outdoor Shelf
Supplies and Materials
- Wood | 2×4 lumber or use wood from pallet
- Wood screws
- Electric drill and drill bit for pilot holes
- Hardware cloth / small grid chicken wire
- Burlap fabric
- Electric stapler (optional)
- Potting mix
- Plan | Draw out an assembly plan for the frame, working with the dimensions of the lumber and what final size you would like the shelf to be.
It’s just a large rectangle with cross pieces. Design it to fit what you want to display on it.
- Wood | “2×4” lumber is actually 1 1⁄2 in × 3 1⁄2 in (38 mm × 89 mm). Use these actual dimensions when planning your wood cuts so everything will fit.
- Tip: I like to draw up a plan and get all the cuts done at the store. If you get a good customer service rep, s/he’ll check to make sure your plan works. Easy!
- Alternately, you could use an old wood pallet and simply remove some of the cross pieces to create open planting areas.
- Finish | Use 6″ strips of hardware cloth (or chicken wire) across the face of each shelf area (front and back) to contain the planting areas. Attach with small wood screws or staples.
- Option 1 | Liner | Line planting areas with burlap and wrap it over edges to hide the hardware cloth. Hold burlap in place with wood staples if needed.
- Fill planting areas with container soil and add plants.
- Option 2 | Containers | Use plants in containers.
More Shelf Planter Ideas
Pallet Flower Planter
Here’s a version made by Empress of Dirt Facebook friend Maria.
I saw this pallet herb garden on a garden tour:
If you make an outdoor plant shelf, I’d love to see it.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛