Want great planter ideas? Have a look at these outdoor flower planters, with all sorts of traditional and creative ways to display plants in containers. Sometimes the choice of flower pot is the showstopper. Other times it’s the combination of plants, or how they all work together.
There are more garden container galleries here: 30 Creative Garden Container Ideas.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for shopping sites. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
Garden Planter Ideas
Most of these planter ideas come from local garden tours. There are lot of ideas for plants and containers, combining colours, textures, and styles, from quirky to classic.
1. Urn with Pink Flowers
If you can afford it, a classic urn is a great investment for the garden.
2. Garden Fence with Hanging Planters
No plastic here! Hanging metal baskets with coir or burlap liners look great.
3. Green Tipsy Pots
Also see How to make tipsy pots
Want to paint them? See how to hand-paint designs on clay pots.
4. Polka Dot Stacked Teacups
Top Garden Tip Sheets | Ebook
$5 US | Instant DownloadAdd to Cart
The 12 most popular garden tip sheets and checklists.
5. Purple and More Purple
There’s a party of blue and purple here with petunias, hydrangeas, clematis, and a burst of yellow to set them off.
If you have some old household item or piece of junk you want to make into something cool, have a look at my Recycled DIY & Craft Idea Project Idea Bank.
Creative Garden Projects
6. Wicker Basket Planter
7. Planted Bird Bath
Also see 12+ Repurposed Bird bath planters
8. Repurposed Galvanized Bucket Planter
9. Whiskey Barrel Planters
TIP: Sometimes new whiskey barrels are actually less expensive than thrift shop ones. They are quite popular and the prices tend to get jacked up.
10. Repurposed Funnel Planter
11. Wire Planter with Geraniums
Did you know you can regrow the same zonal geraniums year after year? This shows you how.
12. Wooden Ladder and Hanging Baskets
Here’s a bunch of ideas for using old ladders in the garden
13. Ceramic Containers with Petunias
14. Porch Collection
15. Hanging Wire Basket with Pinks and Peaches
Here’s instructions for How to Make Hypertufa Pots.
16. Clay Pot with Acer Maple
17. Wooden Raised Bed with Daisies
Want a pond but don’t have the space? I built my little pond in a raised garden bed.
18. Hanging Wire Baskets with Begonias
Want to make a garden or make it better? Here’s lots of gardening tips.
19. Tree Stump Planter
20. Wall-Mounted Pots
21. Wheelbarrow with Broken Strawberry Pot
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
- 10 Fruit Trees and Berry Bushes to Grow in Containers | See what you can grow
- Growing Veggies in Containers from Spring to Fall | Succession planting
- Plant Ideas for Beautiful Patio Containers | Grab these plant lists
- Gorgeous Plant Combinations for Window Boxes | No-fail plant ideas
- Strawberry Pots Are Not Just for Strawberries | Think outside the pot
- 22 Flower Containers with Beautiful Plant Combinations | Time to make a list!