Birdcage planters are a favorite with creative gardeners. These tips share ideas for setting up a new or upcycled birdcage as a planter for succulents or annuals.
For more, see 8 Bold and Colorful Flower Pot Ideas.
Tips for Making a Birdcage Planter
1Get a Birdcage
Where can I find a birdcage?
If you want to repurpose / upcycle an old one, look at:
- thrift shops
- yard sales
- online ads e.g. Craigslist, Kijiji – or place a wanted ad of your own
- local Facebook buy, sell, trade groups
I also see a lot of options on sites like Amazon and Etsy.
- Be sure to check the size of the cage. Many of them look big in the photo but are actually quite small.
- Confirm that the birdcage is well made and can endure life outdoors.
- Make sure there is a way to get the plants in. Some decorative birdcages don’t actually have an opening or door, making it difficult to add plants unless you have hands the size of a mouse.
Make it Your Own
- Want to change the color or add rust protection? Use an exterior, all-purpose spray paint.
- Cage wires too close together? Get a good pair of snippers (I love bolt cutters—it is amazing how easily they cut bolts and wire) and remove sections of wire as desired.
Related: Container Gardening Ideas
Plant lists, project ideas, creative planters
2Add Coir or Burlap Liner
There are several options depending on the look you want. No matter what you choose, you want to form some sort of planting area that holds soil about 3-5 inches deep.
- Use a coir liner and put container potting soil inside.
- Use a piece of good quality burlap and form a planting area. Once the soil is added, the burlap stays in place.
- Use chicken wire and moss.
- Use a container that fits the base of the birdcage.
- Use various flower pots that fit within the cage.
3Add Container Potting Mix
For container plants, always use soilless container mix intended for the specific plants.
- Succulents and cacti do best with a lighter container mix.
- Flowering annuals prefer a regular container mix.
Want to combine them?
Keep the plants in plastic pots with their preferred container mix and sit the pots in the cage. Conceal them with coir liner or burlap or show them off.
Birdcage planters look fabulous with trailing plants spilling out of the cage.
Choose your plants based on the light conditions where you will hang it (sun, part sun, shade).
If you can’t find the plants you want in pots, you can always buy a ready-made hanging basket and transplant everything to the birdcage.
Look for trailing succulents or flowering annuals including:
- Alternantheras | Alternanthera spp.
- Bacopas | Sutera spp.
- Creeping Jenny | Lysimachia nummularia*
*is considered invasive in some areas of North America.
- Fuchsia | Fuchsia
- Geranium | Geranium
- Lobelia | Campanulaceae
- Nasturtium | Tropaeoleum spp.
- Petunia | Petunia
- Sweet potato vine | Ipomoea batatas
Shop for succulents by mail order: SucculentBox.com (US only)
5Birdcage Planter Care
Like any plant containers or hanging baskets, you need to keep on top of watering so they never dry out.
Also, keep your plant tags for specific instructions on feeding (fertilizing) and deadheading (removing old blooms to encourage new ones).
Container Gardening Complete
by Jessica Walliser
This has everything you want to know about growing plants in containers: flowers, herbs, veggies, and more.
It’s packed with useful information, creative container projects, and lots of beautiful photos.
Birdcage Planter Ideas
1Black birdcage with succulents | Empress of Dirt
This one was created by Susan StLouis who shared it on a tour of her garden. See the entire creative garden container gallery here.
2White birdcage with succulents | Garden Therapy
Stephanie of Garden Therapy shares how she planted this new, decorative birdcage with succulents.
3Green birdcage with bird on top | Our Fairfield Home & Garden
4Modern birdcage with flowering annuals | House of Hawthornes
You can often find these newer birdcages at thrift shops and yard sales. Pam planted hers with flowering annuals.
Plant a birdcage! Free a bird!
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛