Turn an old ceiling fan into a garden art dragonfly using some household supplies. It’s a great addition to any garden fence or wall.
For more, see all of the garden art project tutorials here.
Make a Garden Art Dragonfly
There’s only one rule for making garden art dragonflies: no two can be the same—even if you want them to be! With a few easy-to-find household items and a screwdriver, you can make your own dragonfly. The supplies for this one cost around $7.
Tools & Materials
- Body: Wooden table leg.
- Wings: Ceiling fan blades.
- Antennae: Any thick wire that will bend and stay in position. I found mine in the electrical section of the thrift store.
- Eyes: I used sunglasses with flat-bottom marbles glued on. Drawer knobs or metal egg cups would also look good.
- Details: I added two pastry cutters (to echo the wings) and a kitchen fork (like a tongue).
- Embellishments: Flat-bottom marbles, costume jewelry, glitter, kitchen utensils—anything goes.
- Paint: Any spray paint or exterior wood paint and polyurethane.
There’s not a lot to this. You just need to paint the pieces and have a way to attach them together. Everyone’s dragonfly is going to be different, depending on the parts you are using.
- Remove fan blades from ceiling fan. Paint if desired. It’s easier to do this before assembling your dragonfly.
- Paint body (table leg). For long-lasting results, sand, prime, and use exterior paint or spray paint (some do not require priming).
I used a kitchen tool as a stencil to create polka dots on the dragonfly body. Just aim the spray paint through it.
- Attach fan blades to body. Use 1/2-inch wood screws. Predrill holes with fine wood bit to avoid splitting wood.
- Attach antennae, eyes, glasses, and other embellishments. Use GE II Silicone Sealant as adhesive.
- Touch up paint and add final embellishments as desired.
- Apply exterior polyurethane or similar wood sealant for a more weather-resistant dragonfly.
- Attach hanging hardware to back of body.
- Hang on a fence or house wall using picture hanging hardware.
- Suspend from a tree branch with chain or wire.
25 Garden Art Projects & Ideas
by Melissa J. Will
Grab the top garden art DIY projects and tips from Empress of Dirt
This ebook is a digital file you save to your device (not a physical product).
$6.99 US | PayPal, Credit Card, Apple Pay
PDF Format | About Ebook
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛