Here’s a variety of tiny, miniature, and small-scale DIY garden project ideas. There’s fairy and gnome gardens, plus a water garden, a terrarium, sweet cake pan planters, and more.
For more, see miniature and fairy garden project ideas.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
Sweet & Little Garden Ideas
Miniature and fairy gardens have become so popular in the past year or two, with so many delightful ideas showing up on the blogs and Pinterest. You can see my favourite pins here: Garden Enchanted.
These projects were created by my garden blogging friends. You’ll find how-to instructions (and more images) by clicking on the link for each project. 1. Fairy Garden In A Wagon | Minnie’s Milestones
How fabulous is this rusty wagon? Have a look to see how it was constructed including the concrete leaf roof.
2. Suitcase Fairy Garden | Empress of Dirt
Take a vintage suitcase and turn it into a little world. It’s one of my favourite garden art projects. 3. Miniature Garden Terrarium | House of Hawthornes
Adorable! I love this idea of adding miniatures to a terrarium.
4. Small Space Water Feature | New House New Home New LifeThis little water garden is a super smart idea for a patio. And you have more plant choices than you would for an in-ground pond. Some water plants are invasive (or grow a bit too fast), but they’re fine in a container: they’re not going anywhere without your consent! 5. Make A Little Garden Village | That Bloomin’ Garden
I love anything that encourages kids to create and play in a garden. Have a look how these kids created their own little village.
6. Gnome Garden In A Basket | Garden Chick
Gorgeous mossy basket with a gnome inside. Click through to see how it was assembled. 7. Sweet Cake Pan Garden | Sensible Gardening & Living
I love cake pans used as planters. I’m always getting more at thrift shops. Have a look at how Lynne made this one plus find out the secret for keeping that lily in place. It’s simple yet clever.
8. Plant Fairy Carrots In Jars | Empress of Dirt
This is a fun way to introduce kids to growing veggies, especially if there’s limited space. Plant carrots in a jar! They turn out tiny and delicious. And yes, they are cute.
Sign up here for the free Empress of Dirt creative idea newsletter.
Janet Calvo is an expert in miniature gardens and the author of Gardening in Miniature.
Visit her site for info on the book, learn which plants are best-suited for miniature gardens, and see her shop for oodles of miniature garden supplies.
- How to create your first fairy garden.
- Create a fairy garden based on a favourite theme.
- Make your own fairy garden miniatures. Get started here.
- Make a fairy garden pond with lily pads.
- How to make fairy garden acorn birdhouse, frog, and flowers.
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛