This handy list shares the various vegetables and herbs you can grow in fall in a cold climate like I have here in Ontario, Canada, as well as the best times to start the seeds so your harvest beats the frost.
For more, see the Fall Garden Guide with tips on sowing, growing, and creative autumn projects.
I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for shopping sites. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.
Timing is Everything
If you’ve been reading this site for a while, you know I’m on a mission to dispel the myth that the gardening season—specifically food growing—ends as summer fades out.
Several years ago I read Niki Jabbour’s book, The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener, and it totally changed my gardening life. I had no idea you can grow vegetables right through the fall and into the winter. This post provides all the details.
This one-page list shares vegetables and herbs (below) you can grow during the colder months, as well as a schedule for getting the seeds started. I keep a copy in my garden notebook for reference.
Keep in mind that different varieties of the same vegetable can grow at very different paces, so be sure to check your seed packets to allow enough time from seed to harvest.
When you click on the button, this printable will be added to your cart. Don’t worry, there’s no cost, and you can download it instantly.
How to Download Free Printables
1. Click the ADD TO CART button.
If you also want some Empress of Dirt ebooks, you can get them here.
2. Click CHECKOUT in the cart.
3. Enter your name and email address.
4. Click DOWNLOAD button.
5. Download your files. Note where on your device they are saved.
6. You will receive a followup email confirming your download links and a message from me.
Top Garden Tip Sheets | Ebook
$7.99 US | Instant DownloadAdd to Cart
The 12 most popular garden tip sheets and checklists.
Want to know which pruners work best? Here’s the guide you need.
Let’s keep the gardening going all year-round!
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛
- Flower Seeds | 25 Flower Seeds to Sow in Fall
- Flowering Bulbs | 20 Flower Bulbs to Sow in Fall
- Quick-Growing Cool Season Veggies | 20 Quick-Growing Veggies
- Late Season Seed Sowing | When is it too late to sow seeds?
- Forcing Bulbs Indoors | When to force bulbs indoors (how to get the timing right)
- Plant Tags & Markers | Plant tags that are tough enough for winter weather
- Extend Your Growing Season | 7 DIY Cold frames, polytunnels, and more
- Jump-Start Your Spring Garden in Fall | Do these now and you’ll thank yourself later