If you want to get started with succulents, these projects are for you. These incredibly versatile and tolerant plants are botanical art just waiting to happen. Come grab some ideas and get planting.
Related: 9 more DIY succulent garden ideas.
Besides the obvious beauty and the incredible variety, one of the best characteristics of succulents is mobility. I have a fair number of them growing both indoors and outdoors and they get repotted and rearranged on a regular basis. They really are living, moveable art.
Living in a cold climate, I have to be mindful to protect the tender ones as fall sets in, but beyond that, they really are rather happy-go-lucky. And they make babies like nobody’s business. If you’re getting into succulents, do find a resource you like on propagating them. It’s quite simple and they can be quite prolific in their slow, but steady growth (free plants!).
Choosing Containers and Soil
Today I’ve gathered some creative succulent planting ideas from favourite gardening friends. You will see from their tutorials that we share the same love of this fabulous group of plants.
You may want to follow their plans exactly or adapt your plantings for some interesting containers you have repurposed or thrifted.
Succulents have shallow roots and good drought tolerance but they still have to be watered.
When choosing containers, consider the water needs. Drainage holes are always a good precaution but, I do find that with careful watering that reaches the roots but does not overdo it, I can get away with using cool/quirky containers including mason jars that do not have drainage holes.
If you’re new to this, have drainage holes.
The main key is to use proper organic succulent and cacti mix (Amazon.com).
10 DIY Succulent Projects
1. Succulent star planter | Garden Therapy
2. Succulent terrarium planter | Lovely Greens
3. Succulent hens and chicks | Garden Matter
4. Succulent treasure chest | Lovely Greens
5. Succulent bird bath | Our Fairfield Home & Garden
6. Succulent wreath | Our Fairfield Home & Garden
7. Succulent strawberry planter | Our Fairfield Home & Garden
8. Succulent bird cage | Empress of Dirt
9. Succulent chicken feeder | New House New Home
10. Succulent green roof birdhouse | Our Fairfield Home & Garden
11. DIY framed succulent wall planter tutorial | Gardening on a Shoestring
I hope you’ll try your own succulent projects. And thank you to my gardening buds for sharing their delightful ideas.
If you love creative, frugal, and easy garden art ideas, you may enjoy my ebook Empress of Dirt Garden Art & Ideas.
And, if you would like the newest ideas delivered right to your email inbox, sign up for the free Empress of Dirt newsletter here.
Love it? Share it!