Fall is arguably the most beautiful and enjoyable times of year to work in the garden. Plus, if you harvest right, you get apple pie!
This is a resource hub for fall gardening tasks, maintenance, sowing and planting, harvesting, canning and preserving, and, of course, creating crafts, decor, and gifts from the bounty.
Fall Garden Tasks & Maintenance
- Which ones actually matter? And what should wait.
- What you can do now to make your spring garden wonderful
- Get your winter compost bin ready
- Mulch, mulch, mulch
- 40 fall and winter garden tips and tasks from expert, organic gardeners
- Fall and Winter Home Garden Pond Care
- When to prune and deadhead in your garden
- How to choose the right pruning tools
Fall Sowing & Growing
- When is it too late to sow seeds?
- 30 flower seeds you can sow in the fall
- 25 veggies and herbs to grow in the fall
- How to start a fall vegetable garden
- Plant tags that are tough enough for winter weather
- Free printable with the schedule I follow to get the cool season veggies and herbs started.
- How to plant bulbs including tulips, daffodils, hyacinth, crocuses, and more
- How to plant bulbs in containers
- How to force bulbs indoors (these are the easy, no-chill ones)
- When to force bulbs indoors (how to get the timing right)
Extend the Growing Season (Spring and Fall)
- How to overwinter geraniums (for lots of flowers next year)
- How to take cuttings from sweet potato vines (free plants!
Protecting Tender Plants
Canning & Preserving
- Empress of Dirt top picks for kitchen gear
- Organic gardeners share their favourite canning & preserving techniques and recipes
- How to turn leftover veggies into snackable veggie chips
- How to properly keep foods in cold storage
- Which apples work best in pies and other baked goods?
- Best apple recipes from salads to pies (plus jams and cocktails)
- Make apple dessert pizza outdoors on your grill
Sign up here for the free Empress of Dirt Newsletter
Garden-Inspired Crafts, decor, and Gift Ideas
- Fun projects you can knock off in an afternoon
- 14 lavender crafts & recipes
- DIY thrift shop bug house
- DIY pinecone animals
Love it? Share it!