Got something old you want to repurpose or upcycle into something new? This idea bank lists dozens of common household items like tin cans, cardboard, zippers, birdbaths, and more, and gives project ideas with instructions for crafting them into something new. Waste not, want not!
What Can I Make With These?
Have you got something old that you want to reuse but you can’t figure out what to make with it?
Don’t throw it out! Reduce. Reuse. Repurpose. Recycle. This is how the best garden art is made! Plus, it’s super frugal and unique.
And that’s what this Recycled DIY and Craft Project Idea Bank is all about.
Have a look for unwanted stuff / junk you already have, and see what you can make.
And be sure to subscribe here to keep up with the latest recycled project ideas.
If a fear of power tools is holding you back, I’ve got some words of encouragement here. You can do it!
To search for a specific item on this page, use the following command:
Ctrl + F
Cmd + F
What Can I Make With…?
- Use barn board or scrap wood to create a garden sign
I also use barn board to build my raised garden beds and to build a privacy wall at my patio.
- Make a wooden garden trug
- Turn a broken barstool into a birdhouse stand
These are very handy as plant stands too.
Bathtub – claw foot
Bedframe – metal headboard and footboard
Birdbath, cement, broken
- Plant a bird cage with succulents
- More ways to plant a birdcage
Branches, Twigs, Sticks
Cans, pop, soda, beer, food
- Earth-wise owls made from recycled cardboard
You can also use cardboard to snuff out weeds in the garden. Add a layer and weight it down. The weeds will give up eventually.
Creative Project Instructions
- Turn a kitchen colander into a bling-bling garden chandelier
You can also paint colanders in nice, bright colours and use them as hanging planters.
Concrete / Cement
Crock Pot / Slow Cooker
Crystal and plastic prisms
- Make a junk/art chandelier for your garden
These are good for all sorts of projects including sun catchers and wind chimes.
Cutlery – knives, forks, spoons
- Create garden art flowers with kitchen supplies
Cutlery is also useful for making unique hooks, wind chimes, plant markers, signs….
- Make mini garden art dish flowers
- Turn kitchen dishes into garden art flowers
- Use old vases and plates to make garden art totems
- Old plates and dishes make great garden art flowers
Fishing tackle box
- Plant succulents in a fishing tackle box (and more)
Frame, Picture Frames
Glass gems / Flat-bottom marbles
Grape vine / Grape vine wreath
- Make a hot chocolate gift kit from old food jars
- DIY garden treasure jars
- Grow mini fairy carrots in jars
- DIY garden art sign using twine for the lettering
- Jute twine is very useful for creating garden art flower stems
Kitchen cutlery, tools, accessories
- Make a garden frog prince from a lamp globe
I also use strong, old lamp globes to make decorative garden balls (instead of using bowling balls).
Mesh Skimmer (for frying foods)
- There are many uses for old mirrors in the garden
- Make an Optical Illusion Garden Art Mirror
- Create miniature optical illusion door for a fairy garden
Pie Plates (glass)
Plastic water bottles
Pool noodle / Water woggle
Pop bottles, soda bottles
- Plastic soda bottles with the bottoms cut off make good funnels for filling bird feeders.
Large pop bottles and jars are also handy as cloches to protect small, tender plants when there’s a risk of frost or harsh weather.
Rocks and stones
- Paint stones to make garden markers
- Paint rocks to look like animals and more
- DIY garden stepping stones
- Garden stone crafts
- Paint stones as art – birds and more
Salt & pepper shakers
Screen, privacy, folding, wood
- Plant succulents in shoes and boots
- Paint super cool canvas shoes
Shoebag / Hanging Shoe Organizer
Shutters, wood or metal
Slow Cooker / Crock Pot
Soda Cans / Pop Cans
Solar light stands
Stair risers (wood)
Tools, rusty, old
- Turn old watering cans into garden art
- Make a Watering Can with Faux Spilling Water
- Plant a watering can with succulents
- Turn old windows into a min greenhouse
- A whole bunch of ideas for using old doors and windows in the garden
- Make a fence look fabulous with vinyl doors and windows
- DIY bird-inspired repurposed window art
- Wall-mounted vertical plant shelf made from 2x4s
- What’s the best wood to use for raised garden beds? Answer here.
- Woodburning – Garden Art tags and signs
- 25+ Creative Ways to Reuse Christmas Trees (crafts, decor, and practical garden uses)
- Hanging potted plant shelves
- Plant a metal wreath with moss and succulents
Be sure to subscribe or save the page. I’ll be adding to it.
And now go make something wonderful.
That should keep you busy. Have fun!
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛